A Blog for English 8010

Monday, February 21, 2005

Outcomes

While Peckham expressed some hesitation over using the term "outcomes" in his article in Roen, et.al., he still impressed upon me the usefulness of defining outcomes for student learning (note to self - look up on/upon usage).

The brief outcome statement he provided addresses outcomes for rhetorical knowledge, general reading, writing, and thinking skills, process knowledge and conventions.

I am thinking about beginning my course with a section on critical reading and thinking. Of the texts I've looked at so far, I think Allyn & Bacon has the most space devoted to it and does the best job explaining rhetorical reading and inquiry-driven analysis.

Then, I hadn't thought about using journals as a feedback mechanism. That might be useful, although, I am reminded of the old law school adage: never ask a question you don't know the answer to. Yet, while it might be scary at first to ask for feedback, I think I'd like to know sooner rather than later so I could make a course correction if necessary. As a side note on the topic of asking for feedback, when I sat in on Juliet's class last week, she asked her students if they found the last two assignments helpful. I liked that she required them to give a reason along with their positive or negative opinion. I was also happy to note that students felt empowered enough to provide some constructive feedback.

Peckham has some good examples for writing in different rhetorical situations that I'd like to remember.
compare information gathered from brochures, tabloids, general newspapers, and professional journals...
evaluate the different kinds of power that information has for different audiences...[including] anecdotes...
Peckham does one thing that I've noticed that Donna does as well. They both require their students to reflect on the writing that they have done. I think this could be really powerful. It also leads me to want to clarify in writing, for myself, what I hope to get from this class and also next year when I start teaching. My first question for myself will be, what unique strength do I bring to this thing called writing, or more generally, education? ((endless curiosity?...continued reflectiveness..??))

His article did leave me with a few questions (1) why so much hesitancy with the term outcome? (2) what other ways of doing group work have proven successful, especially so that students get in the habit of learning from each other and not just the teacher and as it pertains to peer reviews? and (3) I wonder if MU be okay with a portfolio approach?

1 Comments:

Blogger Keri said...

Frequently at the end of class, I will ask students for feedback concerning what we did in class that day. I think you gain the trust of students. You could also use those comments as a starting point for the next class. I also found that this virtually saved me from encountering students who became frustrated and turned off. In that feedback, if I sense any frustration, I will go and talk to the student, not confront them mind you, but just ask them how class is going and I how I might help it go better for her.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home